Street bike riders need to beware of rocks on trail at road crossings. Trail is swept once each week, but rocks appear daily.
The bulk of rocks found on trail result form illegal vehicle (ATV) activity on trail. I’m encouraging Trail Watch volunteers who are able to take a street broom with them and sweep rocks off trail when found. Parks maintenance can only get to trail once a week to sweep….I encourage all users to kick rocks off trail while walking and/or hiking, it will help all users have a safer experience.
January 26th 2009 – Time for an update on rocks on the trail. Vehicles riding on the trail are still the biggest problem. Rain run off adds small rocks and dirt on to trail and dogs. City of Henderson can only sweep every other week or so do to lay-offs and cut backs. We the users need to pick it up and sweep and remove rocks whenever possible. The photo below was a rock/gravel problem I ran across Saturday Jan. 24th, north of the Equestrian park bridge. We swept the problem. We need more eyes and ears out there. Trail Watch ph 267-4050.
Bill Laub says
Rocks are a big issue on the trail.. at least on the Henderson side of the River Mountains. Couldn’t the City of Henderson “rip-wrap” with heavy rock, like the rock next to 215 in the Summerlin area, the trail?
That would keep the illegial ATVs and depending on the size of the rock maybe even autos off the trail.
Rip-rap is one solution we should look at….we also need better signage, better education of local user groups, and more frequent law enforcement.
I personally carry a street broom with me when I walk the trail, and sweep the rocks off. Getting vehicles off the trail will cure 90% of the problem. The other 10% belongs to dogs being walked along the trail, who once having done their business scatch their feet in the rocks kicking them on to th trail….:)
A new illegal dump site was reported today 1/4 mile south of Equestrian Bridge in drainage channel next to trail…household items; two refrigators, a dryer, old sink etc…like these belong in the desert. Person items were found in trash that ID’s the owner. Citation and a court date maybe in there future…